Duncan Banks of Melbourne, Australia would like to take you on a strange journey...

Thursday, July 13, 2006

HOUSTON..."WE HAVE TOUCH DOWN"

Well, one might be mistaken when landing at the airport of Lanzarote, that you have in fact landed on the lunar landscape of the moon! Forget trees, grass and green, Lanzorate has rock, volcanoes everywhere and a little more rock. This might not the ideal holiday destination, but once I arrived at my home for the next 2 months, I was confronted by a big bay which crystal clear blue warm water, a solid 20-25 cross shore wind with a nice little point where waves break over which are perfect for hurting themselves.

My job description is pretty much GOFER. I am working at a windsurfing resort/rental/instructing shop. I will be pretty much rigging and derigging sails for customers and beach patrol. Tough Work! Work is from 9:30am to 6:00pm and then afterwards I hit the water for some Duncan time. I apparently start work tomorrow so in the mean time i have been windsurfing all day. Nearly did a spock! I must stress nearly! The area i am staying at Teguise is populated with basically english tourists who haven't heard of sunscreen and responsible parenting. I have never seen so many ridiculously burnt poms in the one place. Blister burns are not uncommon- the one thing I love, it doesn't stop them from getting to the beach for the next day.

I will get a few pics of the place and put them up later today or the next convienent time.

Off to go windsurfing. Today i will be riding a brand spanking new 4.7m Neilpride Combat wave with a JP 84 litre Freestyle Wave. Life sucks!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you by far the best windsurfer in Lanzarote?

Fri July 14, 12:31:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In response to the question above. Robby Naish is here at the moment and I was sailing with him yesterday. He comes out of his forwards slightly cleaner than me. I would have to concede that I am the 2nd best windsurfer in Lanzarote at the moment, but only just.

Fri July 14, 08:09:00 pm

 
Blogger Duncan said...

There is no question that i am absolutely the best windsurfer here...not really! Yesterday some spanish dude who is third in the world at freestyle was fooking unbelievable. Reverse stance spocks, flaka´s, shaka absolutely everything but the forwards so fast and lands at full planning speed. He rotates so quickly he has to sheet out when coming down. Awesome to watch!

Tue July 18, 04:23:00 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home